httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <nosed...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 01:13:38 GMT
the correct place?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Williams [mailto:justin@naturalwebs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 3:49 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To

OK.
Presumably, then, this is a server which will have its own IP.  Is this
server
to be co-located, or hosted in-house?
If co-located, then the facility should have a DNS server to point
domain
names to your machine.  If they don't, or if you are hosting in-house,
then
you will need a DNS of your own.  This can be a separate machine, or it
can
be the same one.  Not a big issue, there.  The ISP I work for has 2 DNSs
of
its own to handle the websites we host.  Either way, if you are going to
have
multiple websites on there, then you need to have access to update the
DNS
server on a regular basis.  Every time you add a domain, you need to be
able
to update...
If you are going to be serving up multiple sites to the world, then yes,
you
are going to need a static IP address.  It is possible to use dynamic,
but
that would *really* suck updating all of them every time your IP
changes...

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 01:20 pm, Michael Klama wrote:
> This will be a production server hosting multiple sites out to the
rest
> of the world.
> Mike
>
> Visit our web site for great deals on Computers and Hardware and for
> insightful and unique reviews of the latest hardware offerings by all
of
> the major manufacturers. www.l-and-m-associates.com

How-To

> on
>
> > setting up the Apache web server?  I need the basic info on how to
set
> > up the network coming into the web server, ie., Do I need a static
IP,