httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <nosed...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] DNS Resolution
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:20:54 GMT
The registrar gave me the names of 2 DNS servers to park the domain
name.  the domain name lets say is www.mydomain.com - you are saying
that when joe types that into his browser that the request goes to the
top level domain servers for .com and they determine which dns server to
go to based on the domain name "mydomain" which should be the addresses
that the registrar gave me.  The registrar's dns server should at that
point resolve the name to the static ip of my web server...correct?  if
that is the case then how does the registrar's dns server know the
static ip address that was assigned to me by a completely different
company

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark-Nathaniel Weisman [mailto:mark@outlander.us]
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 2:58 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] DNS Resolution

Alrighty then.... Let's take this a step at a time. You're going to need
two DNS servers to register the domain name at a registrar. Let's look
at how the DNS resolves maybe that will help with the confusion. When
someone types in your domain name www.imsmart.com, the request is then
initially interpreted by the root domains which look at the registered
DNS servers at the registrar. These in turn disclose and point to the
static IP address for the exact web server which contains where it is
parked. An example is in order:

www.imsmart.com has a DNS Server of 111.222.333.444.
111.222.333.444 is then queried to get that:
www.imsmart.com is at 24.234.27.15

Your static IPAddress at 24.234.17.15 is then queried to find Apache
webserver running which then says that www.imsmart.com is in
/usr/local/www/data/imsmart on that server.

Did this make any sense? Most registrants will require that you have two
DNS servers, and each of those DNS servers need to point that domain
name to your IP address. Any more clear?

His Faithful Servant,
Mark