httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Sander Holthaus - Orange XL" <i...@orangexl.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Remote User Variable
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:11:04 GMT
Where is that script located? It it under the directory /local/web/htdocs/coa/secure/shell?

Also, using AuthType Basic is in no way secure. Looked at AuthType Digest yet?

Kind regards,
Sander Holthaus
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Elser
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 4:12 PM
  Subject: [users@httpd] Remote User Variable

  I want to pass the user's login to my script.  My httpd.conf file has this:
  <Directory "/local/web/htdocs/coa/secure/shell">
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "By Invitation Only"
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/bin/apachepw
  Require user jde hml skt
  </Directory>

  I get prompted for a login and password and I'm able to login in.   I then have another
script that checks for the user name.

  My script contains this code (the script then goes into a series of if statements):
  $uname = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};

  But $uname is not being set to the user's login.

  When I installed apache, I simply downloaded the binary version of it and did a pkgadd on
my solaris 8 system.  Do I need to add an apache module and compile apache before I can determine
who gets prompted for a login and password? Or am I missing something else?

  Thanks,
  John