httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan" <apacheusermailingl...@ftbwebsolutions.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Newbie Installing Apache From Source
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 06:55:54 GMT
I am new to Linux and have decided to install everything from source in
order to get a handle on using Linux in general.
I installed Red Hat 8.0 with almost nothing extra (using the GUI
install).  I downloaded httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz and took the following
steps:

1. tar zxvf httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz
2. cd httpd-2.0.43
3. ./configure --prefix=/etc/

After a bunch of system output, I see

checking for chosen layout ....... apr
checking for gcc ... no
checking for cc ... no
checking for cc ... no
checking for cl ... no
Configure:error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
Configure failed for srclib/apr

Not knowing what the above really means, I still tried

Make

I then get the following:
Make: *** No targets specified and Makefile not found. Stop.

Now I don't know if this would help, but there is a MAKEFILE,in file in
the new httpd directory in my tmp directory.

I have idea what's going on.  My assumption is that if I can get the
./configure to work and the make install to work, I'll have my Apache
installed to /etc/httpd  Is this correct and why am I getting the above
errors?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan