httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd.conf inetd/standalone
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:25:49 GMT
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:58:09 -0800 (PST), ranjit@cdfd.org.in wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have these basic questions:
>1. What is the difference between the ServerType as inetd/standalone
>in the httpd.conf file.

inetd is a daemon that listens for calls to a service and then opens
that service.  For example, it would listen for port 110 and open the
pop server as needed.  A stand alone server would already be up and
running, listening to the port itself.

>I have my apache installed on a unix machine and till now I am using
>it in standalone mode, should I use it only in inetd mode and how will
>it help, if I do...?!

stand alone mode would mean that Apache is up and running, ready to
serve up pages.  It is also using memory and cpu cycles.  In inetd
(InterNET Daemon), Apache will not use system assets until called.
Usually, servers that are not heavily used will be set up to depend on
inetd, while more heavily used servers will stay up in stand alone mode.

>2. Also the clauses (in httpd.conf again) MinSpareServers/MaxSpareServers
>and StartServers,
>what is the difference and is there any advantage if I use more number
>of StartServers than the default 5.

Better a true guru should answer this.  My server has little load, and
the default seems fine for me.  (Script kiddies are my largest client
base. <g> Damn, I'm glad I use Apache on Debian Gnu/Linux)

>sorry, if this questions are too basic and irritating, but anybody
>could spare some time on it is highly appreciable.

Actually, they're not bad.  They fall in that gray area that can spark
bodacious religious wars.  Being of the true faith, myself, I edit
config files in Emacs <lol>

--
gt       kk5st@sbcglobal.net
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---