httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Display Domain Only?
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:21:59 GMT

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Matias Silva wrote:

> Ohla
>
> How, Can I get Apache to stop displaying the whole address/url information.
> I would just like to display the domain.  I'm using apache 2.0

Don't, don't, don't.  You destroy a large part of the usefullness of your
website to achieve a silly cosmetic change.  For example, you prevent
bookmarking, you prevent your users from emailing links to each other,
you may wreck caching, etc.

For some perspectives on the issue, see:
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms.html
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-webarch-20021115/#identification
(And note that if the W3C did what you are proposing, I couldn't point you
to those resources.)

Now, if you really want to wreck your website, the most common technique
used to do this is to make your homepage a frameset with a 100% frame
containing the real content.  In addition to all the other problems
mentioned abose, this brings with it a bunch of other problems that come
with frames.

There are a couple other techniques, but they aren't really any better.
None of this, of course, has anything to do with apache.

Joshua.