httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] strange path
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:25:13 GMT

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Derrick Beery wrote:

> The following appears in our access log
>
> - - [18/Nov/2002:18:00:31 -0600] "GET
> /educate/index.html/governor/ecese/ppl/ecese/nclb/ootd/ccwp/cc/documents.htm
> l HTTP/1.0" 200 51577
>
> index.html is not a directory. How come this path works?

Let me guess: index.html is processed by mod_include or php
or something like that (deliberately, or accidentally)?

Dynamic programs are allowed to have additional path information tacked
onto the end of their true path.  It is usually called PATH_INFO after the
name of the CGI env variable that contains the additional path.  It is one
way of passing parameters to a script.  It can, however, lead to problems
when faulty links are used.

In Apache 2, you can disable this behavior using:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#acceptpathinfo

Joshua.