httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] replies in Apache
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:07:43 GMT

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Francisco Javier Villa wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to know the way Apache replies to a URL request. When the
> URL has been mapped to the URI,  does Apache load the file in L2 cache
> in order to make the response? I don't know if Apache reads the file
> from disk directly and then make the reply, stores the page in L2 cache,
> or in a disk buffer at main memory. If it read the file from disk, if a
> second request to the same URI is made, then it can't been satisfied
> from L2, and the reply time will be higher, I suppose.

In general, this is all handled by your OS (or even lower-level stuff in
the case of L2 cache).  Your OS will retain recently accessed data in
cache so that it can be accessed more quickly.

Apache does have the mod_mem_cache (in 2.0) and mod_mmap_static (in 1.3)
that can force some memory caching.  But in general, the OS should do most
of the job itself.

Joshua.