httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:24:17 GMT

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Shaun Fryer wrote:

> >  For example, when my server serves
> > http://my.generichostname.com:3030/~user/stuff/
> > I wish the location window to read http://stunning.webstuff.com/
>
> I do this quite often for my clientelle. Basically what happens is
> client X gets scads of free web-storage on some ISP's web-server, or
> their own box on some cable/DSL connection. They then purchase domain
> hosting from me. I setup my web-server to serve a 100%,100% frameset
> with their remote URL as the frame src. Bang. Problem solved.

Except that you completely break the whole concept of the URL.  Now
wherever they browse in the site, the URL never changes.  That means that
bookmarks won't work, they can't email links to a friend, etc.

I know lots of people do this, but it should be used only as a last
resort.  It is not a good idea in general.

Joshua.