httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] V 2.0.43 ProxyRemote directive - seems to be ignored
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:35:34 GMT

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Nick Newman wrote:

> I am trying to use Apache's (version 2.0.43) ProxyRemote to accept requests
> on port 80 and forward them to port 8080 where another server is
> listening.  However, I cannot seem to get Apache to take any notice of the
> ProxyRemote directive.
>
>          ProxyRemote * http://www.google.com
>
> with the intent that all requests to my site instead go to Google.

>          ProxyPass /foo   http://www.google.com
>          ProxyPassReverse /foo   http://www.google.com
>
> The last three lines show the ProxyRemote (which seems to have no effect)
> and a ProxyPass(Reverse) pair which I tried as an experiment (which worked).

ProxyRemote is used for normal (forward) proxies that want to pass off
requests to another proxy server, which will then grab the content from
the origin server and return them back through the chain.  It will have an
effect only if you configure your client to use your server as a proxy,
not for regular http requests.

It sounds like what you want is a reverse proxy configuration.  For this,
as you have discovered, ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse are the correct
directives.

Joshua