httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mix mod_vhost_alias and virtual hosts
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 01:40:59 GMT

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 pilsl@goldfisch.at wrote:

> In my apache2 I want to mix explicit VirtualHosts with mass-hosting
> using the vhost-module.
>
> Most domains are standard configs and I want to use the
> VirtualDocumentRoot - Directive to satisfy them.
>
> But some domains need more complex configs so I want to satisfy using
> a <VirtualHost>-environment for each of them.
>
> Problem now:
>
> I've two domains defined in a <VirtualHost>-Environment. One works
> fine, the other fails to work. Error-logs tell me that apache searches
> this domain in the vhost-folder specified with VirtualDocumentRoot.
>
> So my question: How do this two ways of virtual hosting
> interfere. Which has priority ? Is it recommeneded to combine this two
> methods ?

Sure you can combine them.  You need to scope the mod_vhost_alias
directives inside a <VirtualHost> section and make sure that <VirtualHost>
only matches the hosts you want it to.  Since you haven't given us any
specific information about your configuration, it is hard to tell either
what exactly you are trying to do, or why it isn't working.

> Additional I like to know if there is an easy way to activate SSL for
> all request to port 443 and of course deactivate for all requests on
> port 80, so I can use https for simple vhost-domains also. (I know
> that it doesnt make much sense cause the certificates will not fit,
> but I'd like to know)

Yes, the standard SSL config activates SSL only on port 443.  But you will
need to create separate <VirtualHost> sections for the SSL hosts.

Joshua.