httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alex Varju <va...@antiflux.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Memory leak in Windows
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:20:11 GMT
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Alex Varju wrote:
> I am using Apache 2.0.43 on Windows, and am having some memory issues.
> As far as I can tell, Apache is slowly growing larger and larger during
> its lifetime.  In stress testing, we've seen it grow as large as 2
> gigabytes.  I have tried running Apache within Purify, and unfortunately
> it looks like the memory is properly cleaned up when the program exits,
> which makes it tricky to try to figure out where things are going wrong.

Following up on my own post, it looks like this growth is related to CGI
processes that serve out a lot of text.  My current test suite is a mix of
requests for static and dynamic pages.

To narrow down the problem, I created an alias that sent all requests for
my CGI content to a static page.  Rerunning the test suite, the Apache
process did not show unreasonable growth.

I then changed the alias so that it pointed at a simple CGI that prints
out 1k of text.  There was still no noticeable growth.

Finally, I changed the alias so that it pointed at a CGI that prints out
1 meg of text.  Re-running the tests, I found that Apache grew very large,
very quickly.

I'm still not sure where to go from here as far as fixing the problem is
concerned.

Thanks,
Alex.