httpd-users mailing list archives

From Shaun Fryer <sh...@lweb.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:29:12 GMT
> > >  For example, when my server serves
> > > http://my.generichostname.com:3030/~user/stuff/
> > > I wish the location window to read http://stunning.webstuff.com/
> >
> > I do this quite often for my clientelle. Basically what happens is
> > client X gets scads of free web-storage on some ISP's web-server, or
> > their own box on some cable/DSL connection. They then purchase domain
> > hosting from me. I setup my web-server to serve a 100%,100% frameset
> > with their remote URL as the frame src. Bang. Problem solved.
>
> Except that you completely break the whole concept of the URL.  Now
> wherever they browse in the site, the URL never changes.  That means that
> bookmarks won't work, they can't email links to a friend, etc.
>
> I know lots of people do this, but it should be used only as a last
> resort.  It is not a good idea in general.

	Of course. But the reason lots of people do this is that there
really isn't a better way. At least not easily. You might be able to
do something using the RedirectMatch directive in combination with
some creative cgi scripting hosted by your 'redirect provider', but
otherwise I can't immediately think of a suitable solution to the
problem.

 Shaun Fryer
 London Webmasters
 http://LWEB.NET