httpd-users mailing list archives

From Saqib.N....@seagate.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how do I prevent sites from hijacking my images?
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:18:11 GMT

Hi Dale,
I think what you want to do is prevent people from directly linking to the
images files.

All you have to do is check for the referer VARIABLE.

--- Server Level:
If you want to do it on the server level, you will have to use
"mod_rewrite" module and HTTP_REFERER variable. There is a good example @
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html  under the section
titled "Blocked Inline-Images". You will have slightly modify it to match
your file types.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://www.sc-icc.org:8080/cocoon/mount/docbook/

"I fear, if I rebel against my Lord, the retribution of an Awful Day (The
Day of Resurrection)" Al-Quran 6:15

                    "dale's

                    stuff"               To:     users@httpd.apache.org

                    <stuff@colony        cc:

                    .net>                Subject:     [users@httpd] how do I prevent sites
from hijacking my images?
                    No Phone Info

                    Available

                    11/05/2002

                    07:06 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    users

Hello,

I was just processing my logs and have found that once again some scum are
stealing some images from my site and linking directly to them.

I am running apache 1.3.2x on RH Linux 7.1. I would like to be able to
serve a different image to these scum to get the point across that they
can'
t be stealing my images -kind of like what angelfire and so forth do.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Dale