httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Emma Grant" <egr...@busydata.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache SSL - using port 80 & 443 for same IP address & Server Name
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 18:36:22 GMT
Well, I just realized that I made a mistake... the error message says 'Page
cannot be found' the server works I know. But maybe not so for this IP
Address. I have set it up through the NIC card ok, becuase when I run the
ifconfig it appears as eth0:1. I know it is listening on the 80 & 443
becuase non-ssls work, and the SSL will work if I leave the VirtualHost tag
as <VirtualHost _default_:443> but this will only work for one ssl. The logs
say something like... the address is already in use, when I do the below
scenario.... maybe that is why I am getting an error becuase apache isn't
even starting, but when I say 'service httpd restart' it says OK after it
asks for the passphrase... why is this? If it hasn't really started.

Browser is IE

Thanks,

EMG

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 2:00 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache SSL - using port 80 & 443 for same IP
address & Server Name

Your configuration is exactly correct and I don't think the problem lies
with apache. "server could not be found" could be many things (what
browser is this?):

- that the browser could not resolve the server name to an IP address
(hence DNS problems). If this, use nslookup to test the DNS.

- that the server did not respond to the request (is apache really
running? is it really listening on port 80 and 443?) If this, check the
IP address of your server matches that in DNS (ifconfig -a to check
that) and then check you are listening on the ports (netstat -a | grep
80, netstat -a | grep 443).

What does it say in the common error log when you try to start apache?
Do you get the "could not be found" on both HTTP and HTTPS?

Rgds,

owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.