httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dan Rossi" <dan...@electroteque.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache2.0.43 w/ ldap on Solaris
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:44:22 GMT
yeh i know about LDAP , i've been currently setting up htaccess auth against
the shadow passwords but prob be a good idea against LDAP , this is for a
webhosting server btw not within an office network , and users are setup as
usual anyway.

-----Original Message-----
From: Saqib.N.Ali@seagate.com [mailto:Saqib.N.Ali@seagate.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 11:36 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache2.0.43 w/ ldap on Solaris

LDAP is a Light Weight Directory Access Protocol. Storing user information
in LDAP directory make the user management a lot easier, if you have to
maintain a large user base. There are various vendors that make LDAP
complaint directories. Some of them are:

1) Sun
2) Microsoft (ADS)
3) Novell
4) OpenLDAP

I prefer OpenLDAP, since it OpenSource. You might want to d/l and install
OpenLDAP. Setting up LDAP services can be very easy or very complex,
depends on what you need it for. Read some good book on defining LDAP
schema, before you define a production schema.

But for testing purposes just d/l OpenLDAP and dont' worry about schema.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://docbook.sc-icc.org

                    "Dan Rossi"
                    <daniel@electro        To:     <users@httpd.apache.org>
                    teque.org>             cc:
                    No Phone Info          Subject:     RE: [users@httpd]
Apache2.0.43 w/ ldap on Solaris
                    Available

                    11/22/2002
                    04:23 PM
                    Please respond
                    to users

what is the purpose and better use of LDAP auth over htpasswd auth ? and
how
could i setup an LDAP service ?