httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lee Grey" <leeg...@mindspring.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RESEND: Escaped versus unescaped cookies
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:14:22 GMT
Please, can anyone help me get past this?  I am running the same servlet on
two different machines and getting two different results.

When I first asked this question a few days ago, I was running:
  Apache 1.3.26, Tomcat 4.0.3,  and J2SDK 1.4.0 on one machine and
  Apache 2.0.43, Tomcat 4.1.12, and J2SDK 1.4.1 on the other.

In the first environment, my cookies came back in plain text, like:

(sn=About URLinOne|ao=y|l=d)%http://www.URLinOne.com/about.html|i=0|h=n

In the second environment, cookies looked like:

%28sn%3DDev%7Cao%3Dn%7Cl%3Dnull%29%25http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoscripter.com%7Ci%3
D0%7Ch%3Dn%25http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swishzone.com%7Ci%3D1%7Ch%3Dn%25http%3A%2F%2Fw
ww.anim-fx.com%7Ci%3D2%7Ch%3Dn%25http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coffeecup.com%2Ffirestarte
r%7Ci%3D3%7Ch%3Dn

Since then, I have changed things a bit.  I now have
  No Apache,     Tomcat 4.1.12, and J2SDK 1.4.0 on the first machine and
  Apache 2.0.43, Tomcat 4.1.12, and J2SDK 1.4.1 on the other.

As you can see, the first machine is no longer running Apache, but now has
an updated Tomcat.  The second machine has not changed, other than the fact
that it is now using mod_jk to forward requests to Tomcat on the second
machine.

NOW, I'm seeing the %28sn%3DDev%7Cao%3Dn%7Cl%3Dnull%29%25http%3A%2F%2F...
form of cookies on the first machine, which used to be in plain text.  So,
that means either the switch to Apache 2 or the change to Tomcat 4.1 (or
perhaps mod_jk?) is to blame for breaking the system that used to work.  How
can I get back to plain text cookies?

Could this have something to do with HTTP version?  Is there a different
default setting between Apache 1 and Apache 2, perhaps?  Or is Tomcat doing
something different in the latest version?  What setting(s) could account
for this difference?  Please, any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Lee Grey