httpd-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Kernes <tker...@buckwestern.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Start/Stop Apache
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:40:10 GMT
I know this has been asked and answered several times on this list, but I
cannot find a specific answer to this:

I am having the same shutdown/restart errors that many others have had.  So
I searched the archives and found that the User/Group directives need to be
valid for the system Apache is running on.  OK, I made sure of that but
after starting httpd, when I look at the processes (ps -aux) I get:

root      1521  <snip>   /etc/httpd/bin/httpd -k start
apache    1525  <snip>   /etc/httpd/bin/httpd -k start
apache    1526  <snip>   /etc/httpd/bin/httpd -k start
apache    1527  <snip>   /etc/httpd/bin/httpd -k start
apache    1528  <snip>   /etc/httpd/bin/httpd -k start
apache    1529  <snip>   /etc/httpd/bin/httpd -k start

The process that won't give up after the stop/restart is the one owned by
root.  I have to kill that process and then start httpd again.  Is this
related to the User/Group problem?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Linux PPC (YDL 2.2)  Compiled Apache 2.0.43 / PHP 4.2.3

--
Thomas Kernes
tkernes@buckwestern.com