httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Pugh" <johnp...@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Windows 2000 server, Apache 2.0.43, use of Alias problem
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:27:11 GMT
I have read the manual, bought Ryan Bloom's book, checked the FAQs but I'm
still not quite understanding 'Alias'. I changed the httpd.cnf file to point
to a different document directory - works fine! I also had to change the
port to 8080 because something else was using 80 so my web server address is
http://IPaddress:8080/dir1/dir2 <http://IPaddress:8080/dir1/dir2>  .

I would like to add another document directory as a valid document
repository so I added an entry in the config file as follows:

Alias /newdirectory /dirA/dirB/dirC/newstuff

I was hoping that this would allow me to use
http://IPaddress:8080/newdirectory <http://IPaddress:8080/newdirectory>  but
it doesn't work. Any hints available on this please? I regret to say that
I'm not a programmer and there's probably something obvious that I'm
missing. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.