httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Porter, Mark" <Mark.Por...@LibertyMutual.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache Bandwidth Utilization / Reporting
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:48:19 GMT
Aren't you describing mod_throttle? I personally have never used it, but
in the cursory glance I gave the module description, it sounds like it
may be what you're looking for.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sander Holthaus - Orange XL [mailto:info@orangexl.com]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 9:57 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache Bandwidth Utilization / Reporting

Personally, I think such a feature should be implemented in Apache for a
very basic protection against (D)DoS-attacks. So you can set things like
MaxBandwith (per day/hour) or MaxPeakBandwith on a per server and
per-virtual-host basis.

Imagine what could happen if you are away for a few hours and someone
decides to fill up your connection with HTTP-requests. Such attacks are
becoming more frequent, and put a severe strain on not only the websever
itself, but also servers and networkcomponents around it. Not to mention
economic damages...

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus