httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bob Ramsey <robert-ram...@uiowa.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] storing mysql-connection data
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:40:02 GMT
Make the file on the server readable only by whatever user apache runs as.

The permissions on the file would look something like this:

rw----------     apache    apache      mypasswords.php

This means that only the user called apache could read and write to the
file, assuming that apache runs as the user called "apache."  I've seen it
run as that or nobody.  For best security practices, it should run as a
user:group that only does web serving, nothing more.

This means that if you need to modify the file you'll have to either login
as apache or do an "su" to set the user to apache before modifying it.

I think that's the right way to do it anyway.

Bob