httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache + Tomcat
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:00:47 GMT
I understand ProxyPass - I don't understand your implementation of it!

Have you located the documentation about this directive? It is imperative that you fid this
for future reference. It is in the htdocs directory whcih comes with the apache distro...

Anyway, once you find it, you will see that every directive has a "context". In the case of
"ProxyPass", the context is "server config, virtual host". This means that, if you have only
one site and no virtual hosts, you can put it at server config level (e.g. alongside DocumentRoot
for the server). Alternatively, if you have many sites, you can put it inside whichever VirtualHost
container it belongs to (again, next to  the DocumentRoot directive is a good place).

Generally, once you discover the context, it doesn't much matter on the order in which you
put apache directives - as long as there is no ambiguity apache will get it. If there is ambiguity
(e.g. two ProxyPass directives mapping the same path to two different URLs in the same VH)
then apache usualy chooses the first possibility.