httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Getting apache to boot
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:13:50 GMT
It would be nice to know what brand of Unix.... etc.

The basic idea is that the booting system goes through a series of run
levels. On my Solaris system, when it gets to run level 3, it looks in
the directory /etc/rc3.d and takes any script which begins with an "S"
in the order of the number following the S, so it eventually comes to a
script called "S50apache". It then executes that script with the
argument "start" (that's what the S is for).

Now, S50apache is really a symbolic link to /etc/init.d/apache which is
simply a copy of /usr/local/apache/bin/apachctl. So all that really
happens is that we execute "apachectl start".

This may be subtly different on your machine (I know linux tends to have
/etc/rc.local/rc3.d - I think...) but the basic idea is the same. Just
poke around in /etc until you find the "Snnprog" scripts... Have a look
at the one for sendmail (probably S88sendmail) to get the general idea.

Just make sure you start apache pretty late on - it needs lots of other
daemons to be running before it will work (e.g. TP/IP stack, inetd
etc..)

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.