httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Authentication and Redirect...
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:24:27 GMT
It's a bit complicated, but if I give you a few pointers, will you read the relevant docs?

First off, you want a single directory for all your customers to arrive in so call it /usr/apache/htdocs/all_customers/.

Now the mod_auth directives test all customers, e.g.

<Directory "/usr/apache/htdocs/all_customers/">
  AllowOverride None
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "ALL CUSTOMERS"
  AuthUserFile /usr/apache/kodiki/customers.pw
  require valid-user
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

Note "require valid-user" so it checks all users for a password.

That's the easy bit... Now you need mod_rewrite so check the documentation for it (mod_rewrite.html
in the docs that came with apache). You need a rule which says:

if the REMOTE_USER is called "customer1", the URL gets rewritten to http://your-site/customer1
and so on for customer2, 3 etc.

Something like:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteLog logs/rewrite_log
RewriteLogLevel 3

RewriteCond  %{REMOTE_USER}  customer1
RewriteRule  ^/*             /customer1/ [L]

RewriteCond  %{REMOTE_USER}  customer2
RewriteRule  ^/*             /customer2/ [L]

etc...

NB use the logfile for debugging - switch it off when it's working.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle