httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Content Type
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 15:19:51 GMT
I think the poster is using Unix on the client side (Lynx browser).
However, it is true that MS violate the HTTP RFC in disregarding the
Content-type in the HTTP header. According to RFC 2068 (HTTP/1.1) the
mime-type sent by the server is "authoritative" which means that the
client is obliged to obey it. So if the server says "image/gif", the
client is supposed to fire up an image-viewer and load it. If it doesn't
work, then the helper program is supposed to handle the error.

MS, however, prefer the heuristic approach where the client "decides"
what to do with the data depending on undocumented, unconfigurable rules
built in to IE (usually, they just go by the file extension and apply a
client-sided mime-type lookup). This leads to no end of inconsistencies
and is a major pain when you are trying to provide downloadable or
dynamic content.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sander Holthaus - Orange XL [mailto:info@orangexl.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 5. November 2002 16:23
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Content Type

This could also be a problem with your desktop. I had the same problem
on a
Windows-machine after installing a cgi/perl editor. Every time I tried
open a cgi-script, I would ask me that very same question (open or save)
and
I was unable to open any cgi-pages through a browser.

Kind regards,
Sander Holthaus