httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 01:52:05 GMT
Bryan Cassidy wrote:

> OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
> help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
> what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
> info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
> dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
> it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
> restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
> there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
> make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
> restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
> so ever would be appreciated.

Not sure what is going on there.  I don't know how dyndns,org does it, but I
run an Apache server under Win 2K using Dns2Go as my Dynamic DNS provider.
They way it set itself up when installed resulted in very fast response to IP
address changes.  For example, shortly after I got it set up, I intentionally
killed my DSL connection, the reconnected it.  From another computer (on a
dialup, not the same DSL), I verified that the page was working before killing
the DSL connection.  After killing the DSL, it took about a minute or so
before Dns2Go detected the off line state and was redirecting requests to the
web site to the alternate page (on an Earthlink server).  After reconnecting
the DSL (which gets a different IP address), it again took only a minute or
so, before requests to the Apache server were going to the new address.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501