httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:08:42 GMT
Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
> help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
> what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
> info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
> dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
> it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
> restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
> there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
> make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
> restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
> so ever would be appreciated.

Get a static IP address?

Or get a port forwarding router/firewall that connects to the Internet,
and forwards connections to port 80 to your server running Apache.  That
machine would have to be smart enough to rebuild the forwarding rules
every time your IP changed (most broad band routers can do this), but
you'll also need something that can connect to dyndns and update your
record automatically.  A Linux or BSD box acting as a router would be
able to do this with any problem.

--
Chris