httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Bandwidth Utilization / Reporting
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:35:38 GMT
Steve,
from a friend that did this exact thing,
full steps for duplicating ( we have no idea when the hard drives ect
will be returned, a warezer put pirated movie on his server, cost him
the servers he was using for data transfer study )

"It's not too tough... if I ever get my #@$! hard drives and tape/CD
backups returned to me from UEN, I could just post you a copy of the
scripts.

Until then, you have to do a couple of things...

For data transfer:

Rig up awk to parse your httpd logs for anything ending in .zip, .exe,
.sit, and .ogg, and whatever else you have set out for download. Then
pipe that into something (awk or grep, machts nichts) that will suss out
the filesize (you can either try and snag it out of the httpd call line,
or out of an ls-generated table that will match the filename to the
filesize) . Then, pipe those numbers into a flat temporary text file,
and at the end of the day, let cron total the things all together, then
do some housekeeping by running /dev/null against the temp number file,
and backing up the daily httpd log (I used `date -I` to latch a
timestamp onto the filename), then running /dev/zero against the main
log file. You can then take that daily log file and run another script
against it, like I did, to count how many download requests you did have
(grep|count), count unique hits altogether (grep|diff|count), then echo
the error lines for your clients to look at when they get lost on something.

HTH a little... "

hope that helps.
btw, the person quoted teaches networking / server admin at university.
I asked him your question, this was his reply. his preffered os is red
hat linux.

Jaqui