httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] htpasswd and Multple sub-directories
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:36:21 GMT
Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently started using Apache to run 5 websites of my computer. On
> one of my web sites (http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org) I need to
> make a series of sub-directories
> (http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org/asdb/omega-class/index.html,
> http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org/asdb/delta-class/index.html,
> http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org/asdb/martian-class/index.html,
> http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org/asdb/diamond-class/index.html,
> http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org/asdb/alpha-striker-class/index.html,
> and
> http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org/asdb/fighters/index.html)
> only accessible to users in my .htpasswd file. Is there any way to
> protect just those directories? I've looked through the manual
> (http://utopia-planitia-hub.homelinux.org/manual/) and have not read
> anything about password protecting a group of sub-directories with the
> one file. Is this possible or must I make seperate htpasswd files for
> all of them (them being the sub-directories)? If the later, are there
> any tools, short of a java applet, I can use to automate the process.

Why don't you make it so that all the protected directories have a
common parent directory?  Then you can put an .htaccess (that controls
the access to the directory, .htpasswd is just a common name for the
file that contains the usernames/passwords) in that one directory.  Try,
protected, members, registered, something to that effect as your parent
directory.

--
Chris