httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jerry Bonner <Jerry.Bon...@cpinternet.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache Crashing? User Auth Bug?
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:46:53 GMT
Lo All,

Im experiencing a completely weird error with apache 1.3.20 under a Cobalt
server (redhat 6.2 derivative)

The problem is occurring when I try to add user authentication to a
directory, either through httpd.conf or through a .htaccess with the
following :

DirectoryIndex awstats.pl
Authname "Protected Stats Access"
AuthPAM_Enabled off
Authtype Basic
require valid-user
AuthUserFile /path/to/htpasswd

When I try to access the directory through lynx, it reports "Unexpected
network error, connection aborted". The are no errors reported in the httpd
error log or through the syslog when this happens.

Now if I comment out the "require valid-user" directive, I won't get that
error, although authentication will not work either.

Now the crazy thing is that on the very same box, running under the same
daemon, I have this very same configuration working on another set of
directories and everything works fine.

Does anyone have any clue on whats going on, is there anyway I can get more
information on whats going on from apache?

thanks,

-jerryb