httpd-users mailing list archives

From "i.t" <...@ithum.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Memory leak in Windows
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:50:57 GMT
msg Donnerstag, 21. November 2002 18:03 by Alex Varju:
> The memory growth seems to happen most often if a number requests hit the
> server simultaneously.
>
> Has anybody else seen this happening?  Does anybody have any suggestions
> of techniques I can use to diagnose this?
yes -
on Win2k with
Apache/2.0.43 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.0.43 OpenSSL/0.9.6g PHP/4.2.4-dev
I've proofed the system, httpd.conf and php.ini, opened the server-status what
gives you good information - see how many megs are in certain slots.
php scripts have been cleaned up due to not deleted temporary files;
behavior is better than before, but during many simultaneous requests - most
sites are php scripts - the server seems to hang, CPU load goes to near 100
percent, memory usage may have doubled from 250 over 500 MB RAM.
I've instructed a local admin to stop and start the server (not graceful) in
such a situation. Otherwise it may take 10 to 20 minutes until the server
cleans up. No request is possible in this phase. Server status shows a lot of
long running reading requests. Example:
0-1 1064 0/461/461 R 734 0 0.0 1.71 1.71 ? ? ..reading..
0-1 1064 0/0/403 R  756 0 0.0 0.00 1.32  ? ? ..reading..

"Fortunately" this happens only once a day during business hours at Monday and
Thursday when many customers are active.
php scripts are in further cleanup process, but that looks more like a bug in
Apache and/or Win2k.
Are you using Professional Advanced Server or the workstation?

Regards
--
 . ___
 |  |  Irmund     Thum