httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Redirection
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:58:41 GMT
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:56:50PM -0500, Greg Sidelinger wrote:
> Ok while I figured I would have to go about it that way but one last question.
> Is it posible to issure a redirection from a PerlAuthenHandler script  using
> mod_perl on the server.  I was looking around the mod_perl docs I have but
> did not see anything on that.

I'm not sure whether this will help you - as I understand it, use of
PerlAuthenHandler merely allows you to extend the way basic authentication
is handled.

HTTP is a stateless protocol.  There is no concept of "login" and "logout".
Either a request is supplied with authentication credentials (a username
and password), or it is not.

If the concept of sessions is particularly important to you, you will need
to implement your authentication via a scripting mechanism (php/perl/etc)
and the use of a session variable - either a cookie, or a GET/POST'd
parameter.

I may be reading too much into your specific problem, but the general
answer is that there's no "right" way to solve it within Apache because the
problem itself does not make sense within the context of an HTTP request.

HTH,

Zac