httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Yang <ayang_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Exact behaviour of KeepAliveTimeout
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:34:32 GMT
--- Jacob Coby <jcoby@listingbook.com> wrote:
> > A. Client issues HTTP request 1 (waits for
> response)
> > B. Apache receives request 1
> > C. Server does processing to generate dynamic
> response
> > D. Server sends response back to client
> > E. Client receives response
> > F. Client issues request 2
> > G. Apache receives request 2
> >
> > Now, does the timeout period refer to the period
> > between B and G, or between D and G?
>
> I would assume between D and G as B-D and F-G are
> seperate connections.

Except that with HTTP 1.1, it is the same connection.
I should have said that the connection was a
persistent connection (which 1.1 connections are by
default.)

> > In other words, in the case where server-side
> > processing takes longer than 15 seconds, the
> client
> > will not issue another request, and the connection
> > will be closed by Apache.
>
> That would seem less than desirable, as the idea is
> to have a client be served by the same process to
> increase speed.  It's been my experience that
> as long as you continue making connections, the same
> process will serve them, until you wait longer than
> the timeout.  At least that's how it would
> work if I programmed it :-)

I agree. I was trying to illustrate what the exact
"wait longer than the timeout" mechanism was.

> You could install mod_status and watch what
> processes are serving your requests, and see when
> they time out.

At this time, that's not quite practical - our setup
is actually a little more complicated than a straight
Apache install. However, we are setting some stuff up
to try and get a better sense of what is happening.
I'm just trying to get some hypotheses validated so
that we can understand what is *supposed* to be
happening.

Thanks,
Andy