httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Yang <ayang_...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Exact behaviour of KeepAliveTimeout
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:08:00 GMT
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the actual
behaviour of the KeepAliveTimeout directive.

All of the descriptions of this parameter I can find
say that it is the period of time between two CLIENT
HTTP REQUESTS. (Sorry, didn't mean to raise my voice)

So, given the following scenario:

A. Client issues HTTP request 1 (waits for response)
B. Apache receives request 1
C. Server does processing to generate dynamic response
D. Server sends response back to client
E. Client receives response
F. Client issues request 2
G. Apache receives request 2

Now, does the timeout period refer to the period
between B and G, or between D and G?

That is, as soon as Apache receives a request, the
clock starts ticking and after 15 seconds without
another request (the client is blocking), it will
close the connection.

In other words, in the case where server-side
processing takes longer than 15 seconds, the client
will not issue another request, and the connection
will be closed by Apache.

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance,
Andy