httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ayla <kle...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Untrained Monkey needs help setting Apache Cache Control
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:17:13 GMT
Hi,

I need some help figuring out how to set up some cache
control for my website.  I am set up with a VPS.  I
feel like I was kind of strong armed from a
$16.95/month hobby site to into an $80 month VPS by my
hosting company due to CPU usage, but now they are NOT
providing me with any support for this because they
expect me to know what I am doing at that level.  I do
NOT know Apache.  I am NOT a tech.  I have been to the
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_headers.html#header

page, and the

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_expires.html

page, which someone sent me as a tip, but it looks
like greek to me.  I have WHM/cpanel access, but I
have looked at EVERYTHING and I still do not know what
I am doing.    I did find this in my cpanel under
Advanced Menu:

Extention(s)  Handler

User Defined Handlers
System Defined Handlers
.cgi .pl cgi-script
.shtml server-parsed

But I do not know exactly what to add.

My site is very high traffic, and it is so bogged down
right now it is unusable.

Here is a copy of the original Tip email I was sent:

"At the moment, your pages do not have any "expires"
or
"cache control" information, therefore browsers and
caches are going to keep connecting back to your
server to see if pages have changed.  If you can set
your server to apply explicit expiry dates (e.g. 1
week) for any static stuff on the site, such as the
images for the pages it will reduce the number of hits
you get from browsers checking if their cached copy is
up to date. You could also experiment with shorter
expiry periods (15 mins or so) on the actual directory
listings and stories themselves.

Also if you can set the http cache-control header to
public it will tell any public proxy servers at ISPs
"this page/image looks the same when user A is
browsing it as when user B is browsing, so if you have
cached a copy for user A, then you can give that copy
to user B too", thus preventing user B from having to
download it from your server. If you don't include
this header, a public cache will assume the page may
contain user-specific information and reconnect to the
server for each new user.

This page shows how to setup expiry information for
apache, which can be done at the directory level:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_expires.html

You can use the header append directive on this page
to set public cache control:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_headers.html

Header set "Cache-Control" "public"

Hope this is of help."