httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSI var... (none)
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:20:58 GMT
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:05:50AM -0800, Dag Gano wrote:
> I was surprised, too. It actually puts the string "(none)" in numerous
> places where I have #echo statements in my HTML. I'm starting to code around
> it, but it's really kludging up my code having to have every page init every
> variable, or include a file that does it.

Interesting (and unfortunate).  I'm not familiar with the mod_include code
and couldn't find the section responsible for this behaviour in a quick
browse.  I'd agree that the documentation implies that this is not
configurable.

My other suggestion would be to reconsider whether SSI is really the most
appropriate solution to the problem.  I've always seen SSI as a very basic
approach to dynamic content generation and have used it as such.  In light
of that, I can't help but feel that if you're in the position where this
is a serious problem you may want to look at using PHP.  It's quite easy
to start out using it as a supercharged SSI but you can take it a lot
further as the need requires.

Cheers,

Zac