httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content-length and mod_deflate and mod_include
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 16:47:32 GMT
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 13:36:04 -0600,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> I have been having some problems with people using some versions of IE
> viewing web pages on my site when compression is turned on.
> I am running 2.0.44 from CVS as of a couple a days ago, but the problem
> has been going on for a while.
> I suspect the problem may be related to the content-length header.
> Looking at the source suggests that both mod_deflate and mod_include
> try to suppress the content-length header. However, the responses
> end up including one. The response seems to be off by 20 bytes.
> You can verify this by going to:
> http://www.schroepl.net/cgi-bin/http_trace.pl
> and entering a url of http://wolff.to/area/G_776.html using a browser
> that doesn't include 'MSIE' in its user-agent header and that can accept
> gzip encoding.

I did a bit more research on this and the bad combination seems to be using
the DEFLATE filter being applied to CGI output. INCLUDES and DEFLATE applied
to files works OK. The content-length header does not appear when the
INCLUDE filter is applied to CGI output, but it does when the DEFLATE
filter is applied to CGI output (with or witout an INCLUDES filter).
The value of the content-length header is off by 20 bytes. Sometimes it
is high and sometimes it is low. A HEAD request returned a content-length
of 20 bytes, but no body was returned. For GET requests I have just noticed
the content-length header being low by 20 bytes.

I am pretty convinced that this is a bug, and may be responsible for causing
problems with some versions of IE. Since I posted here just yesterday
afternoon, I didn't want to submit an official bug report just yet.