httpd-users mailing list archives

From pi...@goldfisch.at
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mix mod_vhost_alias and virtual hosts
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:58:03 GMT
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:40:59PM -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Sure you can combine them.  You need to scope the mod_vhost_alias
> directives inside a <VirtualHost> section and make sure that <VirtualHost>
> only matches the hosts you want it to.  Since you haven't given us any
> specific information about your configuration, it is hard to tell either
> what exactly you are trying to do, or why it isn't working.

thnx.
 The VirtualDocumentRoot-Directive seems to override any DocumentRoot
in any <VirtualHost>-environment. Thats why my config wasnt working.

I specified valid DocumentRoot in <VirtualHost> but the folder derived
from VirtualDocumentRoot did not exist. The only <VirtualHost> it was
working didnt have a DocumentRoot but an "Alias /" ...

> > Additional I like to know if there is an easy way to activate SSL for
> > all request to port 443 and of course deactivate for all requests on
> > port 80, so I can use https for simple vhost-domains also. (I know
> > that it doesnt make much sense cause the certificates will not fit,
> > but I'd like to know)
>
> Yes, the standard SSL config activates SSL only on port 443.  But you will
> need to create separate <VirtualHost> sections for the SSL hosts.

Lets say I've 200 "standard" domains (that dont need additional
VirtualHost-settings) . I config all the 200 domains very easily by
using a single VirtualDocumentRoot-Directive.  Now I want to allow
https-access to this domains too. The only way I know by far is to
create a <VirtualHost>-for each of this domains like:

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:443>
Servername dom1.com
SSLEngine On
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:443>
Servername dom2.com
SSLEngine On
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:443>
Servername dom200.com
SSLEngine On
</VirtualHost>

and (assuming I use VirtualDocumentRoot %0:$p) the following vhost-folder

dom1.com:80
dom1.com:443 -symlink->dom1.com.80

dom200.com:80
dom200.com:443 -symlink->dom200.com.80

I hope there is an easier way to enable SSLEngine for the 443-hosts
automatically.

thnx a lot,
peter

--