httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Tritscher" <paul.tritsc...@style-web.at>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Newbie Problems: Webpage quick load from server and LAN computers, slow load from external computers
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 19:31:07 GMT
>I just became a Linux user and thought I'd make one of my first missions
>to create and host my own website.  My first mission was to configure
>and start Apache 1.3.26 on Suse 8.1 Linux.  After a couple misguided
>attempts, I was able to load a sample page from the server and from
>another computer on the LAN.  I then loaded a simple web page (made with
>Dreamweaver MX) my wife created into htdocs and this also seems to load
>fine from the server and other LAN computers.  The problem I run into is
>when friends and family try to load the page.  The text seems to load
>just fine, but the one picture on the page takes FOREVER to load (maybe
>5 minutes).  This is really disconcerting since the page loads in about
>1 second for me when accessed from my notebook.  Does anyone have an
>dea as to why this might be happening?  Below is a quick run down of
>how I have things set up on my network and web server.

Hi!
On my machine the page loads fast except the jpg! When I look at the source
of your page I see:
"http://www.benjieandjulie.com/Website%20Photos/Benjie%20and%20Julie%206.jpg
" for the jpg!
Try to use lowercase names without spaces between!
Then it should work (I think)!

>I have a dynamic IP address from Southwestern Bell.  I resolve this by
>utilizing a nice little utility/service called No-IP (www.no-ip.com
><http://www.no-ip.com/> ), which constantly monitors my IP address and
>points my domain name (www.benjieandjulie.com
><http://www.benjieandjulie.com/> ) to the router IP address.  I then
>have a Linksys router with port 80 forwarded to my local web server IP
>address.  The picture on the web page is approx. 22Kb and the total page
>is about 30Kb.  From what I can gather on the upload bandwidth tests
>I've done I'm getting about 100Kbps.  This should be fast enough to load
>the full page in about 2-3 seconds.  The text loads very quickly (as
>expected), but then the browser just sits and spins waiting for the
>picture to load.  If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears!  I've been
>trying to figure out why computers on the LAN can load the page so
>quickly while outside computers struggle.  It would make sense if they
>requested the page directly through the LAN, but if I type in
>www.benjieandjulie.com <http://www.benjieandjulie.com/>  shouldn't they
>go outside the network to request the IP address from the No-IP DNS just
>like everyone else?

This depends if you all computers are Linux-machines and have the ipadresses
and hostnames of the other nethosts in the file /etc/hosts!

Hope this helps!
Eule