httpd-users mailing list archives

From david hawcroft <abrog...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Significance of Server Name and cgi-bin problem (maybe)
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 04:11:54 GMT

 I have three little questions:

1. The Server Name entry in the config file.
I run my Apache server on my client machine on a little Lan. Just for
my own amusement and education.

But now I've expanded a bit and got a dynamic dns service to provide
me with a permanent IP, and got the Lan manager to configure his
Sygate server to let traffic in - and now I'm viewable by the world.

Very good. I can begin to see what you guys are talking about.. code
red attacks in the access log and so on... beaut.

So I look in the config file and I see where it says 'Server Name'
and tells you to provide a real name but it's okay to use 127.0.0.1
if you are just local for your own use.

Well.. I was, but now I'm sort of not... but I don't have a fixed IP
I can write in there and I don't a name I can write in. Everything is
still working fine.

What is the full significance of this 'server name'? Is it okay to
leave it as localhost?

2. index.html or index.htm?
I am trying to use Frontpage. When I create a new web in Frontpage
and import my existing site it will export it back again with
index.htm as the home page! Maybe there's a way around this but I
haven't found it yet.
Apache seems to need index.html as a home page.
Can I change Apache so's it'll open index.htm when index.html is not
there?

3. a perl script 'downloaded'.
So I can have the world view a stable site but have a site for me to
experiment with I have copied my site down one level on the Apache
directory tree and called it 'experiments'.  So it is at c:/program
files/apache group/apache/htdocs/experiments.

So now frontpage happily has two 'webs' I can use - one gets
published to htdocs and is the one the world sees and one gets
published to htdocs/experiments and is the one I play most with.

And I can access my play site by simply writing the usual url and
appending "/experiments/index.htm" on the end.

I need to view the site like this because frontpage preview won't run
the perl scripts.. but then....

 When I click on the link that fires a perl script in the
'experiments' site it doesn't run. Instead I get a message saying I
am downloading 'webimage.pl' from the root site, if you know what I
mean. i.e. it gives me an url and it is the url of the original site,
the original homepage. It asks me what I want to do: save to disk or
open it. Just like a normal download.

I thought any page anywhere will look for any cgi script in
apache/cgi-bin ?  That's where the 'root' index.htm looks for it. And
that index.htm is located at, of course, apache/htdocs/index.htm

The entry in the index.htm files is the same for both:
"/cgi-bin/webimage.pl"

I've just realised I haven't tried hardcoding the full path for the
script. I should have tried that before writing this: ah, well,
there's still two valid questions and if hardcoding doesn't fix it
this remains a valid question...

 any help much appreciated.  regards.. abrogard