httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marc Girod <gi...@shire.ntc.nokia.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: patch to avoid loops in htdig indexing
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:00:54 GMT

JS> 1. Use an Alias or a Redirect rather than a symlink.

This is an html only solution. The site I am serving contains other
stuff than web pages, and is used for other purposes than web serving.
Dismissed.

JS> 2. Put the exclusions in /robots.txt

I know to disallow file/directories on a name matching basis.
I guess you suggest one could generate a disallow line for every
symlink?
To be robust, I would need to generate the robots.txt automatically
with all the symlinks before indexing. The task is already long enough
(~1.5 h).
Possible, but not convenient.

JS> 3. Use IndexOptions SuppressHTMLPreamble in combination with HeaderName
JS> to change the html code before the index:
JS> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexoptions

Sounds interesting, although I cannot quite find how to use it
exactly. Anyway, this is for 2.0? Because I use 1.3.22 (and have a
compatibility issue -- support requirement -- related to it)

JS> These are all ways to avoid hacking the code.  But if you prefer to hack,
JS> go for it!

I am afraid there are no easier ways left.
I still think my patch is useful.

--
Marc Girod        P.O. Box 323        Voice:  +358-71 80 25581
Nokia NBI         00045 NOKIA Group   Mobile: +358-50 38 78415