httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Wick, Daniel" <DPW...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Directory help need by newbie
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:20:26 GMT
I think you are forgetting that http is a STATELESS protocol.  There is no
such thing as being "connected" to the server once the download is complete.
You can only make another request to the server.  Save or Save as will only
affect the client machine.

It would help if you made your senario more specific.  Step A: user
downloads spreadsheet and works on it using the ole` object for excel in IE.
Step B: fill in the blank.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: rott [mailto:rott@buckeye-express.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 11:54 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Directory help need by newbie

NO Students don't re-upload just download when you open a office document on
the web it opens automatically in office on your computer ...
problem is they can also open up other excel sheets from other labs and over
right data while still connected to the server so if you save changes it
affects the one on the server

so i made the directory read-only
that seemed to fix the problem
but then if you try to save-as, it says cant this directory was opened as
read-only.
But if you just close out after that alot of the time the changes are
staying.
So if a student wants to screw people over, he could erase or over write a
hole labs data sheets and the information is not recoverable. So I am
starting to think it is an office2K bug and has nothing to do with apache