httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Directory help need by newbie
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:29:42 GMT
Rott:

I think I may be as confused as everyone else here, but I'll give it a shot.

> students need to be able to access
> http://www.my.domain.com/vitalcapacity/
> to download spread sheets to fill in info in to them, problem
> is that if you
> open one (eg.2160_004.xls) it will open up in Excel as read
> only that is
> good I thought, I tried to change data and it let me clicking
> on Save As
> wont let you save the changes but if you just close the
> browser the changes
> stay.

If someone downloads a copy of a document (Excel or otherwise), they will be
able to do anything with it.  If you've added some sort of protection to the
document that is part of the file format, then you may be able to restrict
some usage, but basically they are now using their very own copy of the
object.  If, after that user has edited the document, the user saves the
document on his/her local machine, it will not effect the copy on the
server.

> So it would let a student over right all data in his lab not
> only his but
> all of them

To allow users to actually write over documents on your server you would
need to...
 a) Set up some sort of share (Samba, windows shared drive, etc)
 b) Give them FTP access with the correct permissions to write to that file
 c) Create a script of some sort that would take in the file and write it to
the file system.

You may be seeing this a little differently than your users if you are
working directly on the server.  If you test this as a client while on the
server (never a good idea), you could accidentally write over the previous
version of the file.  However, Apache does not out-of-the-box allow for this
type of activity.

> Im not really sure if this is even an apach problem

Neither am I.  Then again, I'm pretty lost with this whole thread. :)

 ~ Robert