httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] About some concepts with Apache under Windows
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:58:04 GMT
Simon:

> 1. I want to know that after setting up the Apache under windows. How
> usually, Administrators letting users uploading files?
> By a FTP server? Since I am running XP, if I would like to do
> so. eg, I
> would like to upload html to maintain my webpage elsewhere.

In my experience working at hosting companies, each user would get their own
account on the server.  These accounts are set up to allow for FTP and
telnet access.  This allows the users to manage the site as they see fit
without having to deal with any administrators (usually).  Of course, you
need to set up the correct security around this type of access, but that's
not too terribly difficult in an *nix environment.

> What FTP or module or whatever I needed to setup too?
> I am now using WARFTP at the moment. But I find that it is not a
> professional or proper way to do it because
> WARFTP user database and Apache user database doesn't
> coherent afterall.
> They are not related.
> How to setup a better web server with coherent user database
> between Win
> system, FTP and HTTP?

I don't know a thing about Windows, so someone else will have to help you
there.

> 2. What is root user means under Windows environment?
> I understand that root is a "God" equal to a Adminstrator
> account. But what
> do it do with Windows account?
> How they interact?
> I have set "user disabled root". What does it mean in Windows eniron.?

Again, I'm not a windows guy.

> 3. I want to setup usr director as in linux since I don't
> know much of linux
> directory structure.
> I try to setup the userdir as something
> C:\blahblahblah\%UserProfile%\documents\websites something.
> It doesn't work afterall when I called
> "myserver.com/~username_of_my_system.
>  If I want to setup, how can I accomplish it?

Take a look at the docs for mod_userdir...

 http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_userdir.html

I've never done this on Windows, but I can't imagine it is too terribly
difficult.

 ~ Robert