httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stuart <Ian.Stu...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache in a dual processor
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:55:47 GMT
On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 18:25, Francisco Javier Villa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Apache 2.0.43 in a system with two Pentium II
> processors (a dual processor). Is it necessary to give Apache some
> special option at compile time? Or can it be installed in the same way
> that in a system with an only processor?
Absolutly none. Each httpd will run on a single CPU, but the various
httpd's will sit on various CPUs, thereby spreading the load. It's an
Operating System thing, not an Apache thing.

(I have 1.3.27 & 2.0.43 servers running on a Dual PII-450 box)

If you really want to utilise the extra processor, then you can run you
"make" command as "make -j 2" then the compiler will run two compilation
threads at the same time, speeding things up.

Mind you, it doesn't take long to compile Apache (1 or 2), so this is a
bit of overkill :)

> Thanks, and excuse my poor standard of English.
Hey - it's a damn site better than my Spanish :)
--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty