httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Exact behaviour of KeepAliveTimeout
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:21:16 GMT
> A. Client issues HTTP request 1 (waits for response)
> B. Apache receives request 1
> C. Server does processing to generate dynamic response
> D. Server sends response back to client
> E. Client receives response
> F. Client issues request 2
> G. Apache receives request 2
>
> Now, does the timeout period refer to the period
> between B and G, or between D and G?

I would assume between D and G as B-D and F-G are seperate connections.

> In other words, in the case where server-side
> processing takes longer than 15 seconds, the client
> will not issue another request, and the connection
> will be closed by Apache.

That would seem less than desirable, as the idea is to have a client be
served by the same process to increase speed.  It's been my experience that
as long as you continue making connections, the same process will serve
them, until you wait longer than the timeout.  At least that's how it would
work if I programmed it :-)

You could install mod_status and watch what processes are serving your
requests, and see when they time out.

-Jacob