httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Sherif D Mohamad" <sherif.d...@menanet.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Mapped windows shared network drive on Apache
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 22:30:09 GMT
I have a problem with Apache running on windows 2000 server as a service.
I need to host some files from a shared mapped network drive.

I use this line in the httpd.conf :
   Alias /test1/ "E:\test1/test2/"

Where E: is a mapped network drive, and dir E:\test1/test2/ contains an
index.html file, but when I try from browser it says file not found and in
the errors file it says :
[Mon Oct 28 12:36:14 2002] [error] [client 217.29.140.5] File does not
exist: e:/test1/test2/

I tried to browse : http://myserver.com/test1/index.html
and it says
[Mon Oct 28 12:36:14 2002] [error] [client 217.29.140.5] File does not
exist: e:/test1/test2/index.htm

It works normally if I used    Alias /test1/ "C:\test1/test2/"   (put files
and folders on local drive)

I looked for this problem on the net and found an answer saying that Apache
runs as a service, with localsystem user and does not interact with desktop
and can't login to netdrives, the one who answered advised to go to
services, Apache service properties, Log on tab, select Allow system to
interact with desktop, he said this worked for winNT, I tried it on win 2000
but it didn't work.
I tried to make service run with administrator account but still didn't
work.
Someone said to run Apache from console and this runs ok.
But I need it to run as a service to run automatically.

Another said to use net use instead , I tried Alias /test1/
"\\server_name_orIP\sharename\test1/test2/"
But still didn't work, I didn't try net use yet as I thought I can't put it
in httpd.conf and it is a windows shell command.

So anyone can help me with this ?

Best Regards
Sherif