httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Display Domain Only?
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:47:29 GMT
> Any of you guys think that you might not grab the entire area of
> applications you might use with a web server?
> What if one wants to create a HTTP file server, hiding the actual URL
could
> improve server security by narrowing the attacks area, am I wrong?
> Really... I'd like some arguments, if anybody cares to invest any time in
> this...

This is really weak security through obscurity.  All the hiding will have to
be client side, and most (if not all) browsers will let you view the source
for a particular frame.  If someone wants to attack you, this is only a
minor setback.

Hiding the URL client side (and it can't be done server side) is about as
secure as disabling the right mouse button.