httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Issac Goldstand" <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 06:52:34 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Meadors" <clubneon@hereintown.net>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 1:08 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

> Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> > OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
> > help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
> > what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
> > info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
> > dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
> > it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
> > restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
> > there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
> > make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
> > restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
> > so ever would be appreciated.
>
> Get a static IP address?
>
> Or get a port forwarding router/firewall that connects to the Internet,
> and forwards connections to port 80 to your server running Apache.  That
> machine would have to be smart enough to rebuild the forwarding rules
> every time your IP changed (most broad band routers can do this), but
> you'll also need something that can connect to dyndns and update your
> record automatically.  A Linux or BSD box acting as a router would be
> able to do this with any problem.

On the subject...

Anyone know how to deal with the flip side of that?  Let's say I have a NAT
router which serves a mini-network with DHCP - any way to update the
firewall (iptables in this case) based on the DHCP allocations?  In other
words, I need to set the *new* destination for the forwarded packets based
on their DHCP address, which while it's usually steady, could technically
change whenever :-)

  Issac