httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Load balancing - Performanche
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:29:16 GMT
> My Scenario:
> 100MBit LAN, 150Users, big htmlpages. K6-500 and 256MB RAM.
> My questions are:
> - Is this Box fast enough for these requests? (Maybe half of the users
might
> access it at once) It´s a pure php/mysql.

No.  Running php and mysql on that server will exhaust the RAM very, very
quickly.  We can only run about 80 connections on a dual PIII 733 with 512mb
ram before it starts swapping (at about 60-70% cpu usage) -- and it only
does webserving.  The database is on another computer.  Your situation may
be different as our site is very database driven, and a single apache
process uses up to 30mb of ram.  Average is 2-8mb.

> - Does Load Balancing make sense in this case?

No, not really.  75 connections a single server can easily handle, unless
you are looking for high availability.  High availability and scalability is
why I'm implementing LVS here.

> I haven´t read too much about load balancing yet, but i read that you can
do
> it with serveral hosts.
> - It must be possible then to do load balancing with ONE host, but 2NICS,
> right? (the host would be a 1,4GHz dual with 512MB RAM, which should do
its
> job!)

I think you're confused as to where the CPU and ram needs to go: the load
balancer (the director) is basically a router, and a very lightweight system
can innundate your connection.  The docs say that a 300mhz processor with
16mb of ram acting as the directory can easily flood a 100 mbit line.  It
isn't until the gigE stuff that the director could become the bottleneck.
NO heavy computations are going on inside the director.  It sniffs the
packets, and determines which real server gets them.

-Jacob